Chicken and Asparagus Salad
The asparagus season comes but once a year and if you’re anything like us you’ll have been gorging on this fabulous treat for the last couple of weeks. To add a little variety why not try this Fait Maison house recipe – Chicken and Asparagus Salad – it’s going down a storm in our all our branches, but we’re not greedy….it’s the perfect entertaining summer salad, so why don’t you try it at home.
8 chicken breast fillets
8 to 10 asparagus stems
4 tsp Tandoori spice mix
200ml natural yoghurt (more if necessary)
2 tsp dried mixed herbs
Mixed leaves of your choice
White wine vinegar
- First separate the chicken breast fillets into two bowls, four in each. Mix the Tandoori spice mix into a separate small bowl of yoghurt and stir well, then add to one bowl of chicken. Make sure the chicken breasts are thoroughly coated, then cover in cling film and leave in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour.
- Add the mixed herbs and a drizzle of olive oil to the other bowl of chicken breasts.
Prepare a hot griddle, then proceed to cook the chicken fillets charring each side evenly and cooking for 4 to 5 minutes on each side; or until cooked through. Leave to rest.
- Meanwhile, prep your asparagus and tie in a bundle before adding a large pot of boiling water. Cover with a lid and cook for 3 to 6 minutes. When ready, remove, drain and leave to cool. Then cut each asparagus spear in half.
- When ready to serve, add the mixed leaves to a large bowl, then add the asparagus and the chicken. For your dressing, you want one part vinegar to one part olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Make sure to either whisk or blend thoroughly to emulsify. Then drizzle a bit at a time into the salad bowl, to give a light sheen over the asparagus and leaves.
- To serve, each portion should have two fillets (one from each marinade), four pieces of asparagus and a handful of leaves. Leave extra dressing on the side.
Voilà, a fantastically fresh celebration of early summer.